Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Read.

Does anyone else love to justify things. Stupid little things that don't really need or even deserve justification, but you do it anyway? For example, if I have to buy something expensive here, like, oh let's say PEARL JAM tickets, and it comes to 200 pesos for two, which is half my paycheck, I'll justify it by telling myself..."hey, it's ok. You're paying with your credit card, that uses your canadian savings, so really, it's only 80 cdn dollars. CHEAP!" At times like these, my mind doesn't care that I only have a few hundred canadian dollars left, nor does it care that it was half my paycheck. It only sees the CONVERSION JUSTIFICATION.
I also like to justify showing up late to places or meetings with "well, everyone else is late down here....your students are always late. It's a custom, so, really, you're just adjusting to the culture. Good for you!" I like that one, because it has kind of morphed from justification to trait. I guess I'm pretty much screwed when I get back to canada.
I also justify not talking to people trying to sell me things on the street by telling myself I look like a foreigner, and maybe they think I didn't understand, when, really, at this point, I have a pretty good grasp on the language, and regardless, any idiot could know what they wanted. Ah, the sweet emancipation from guilt that justifications bring.

If you need anything justified, and your name isn't george bush, feel free to consult me. I specialize in the following areas of justification:

1. junk food intake
2. ice cream intake
3. not giving up your seat on the subway
4. not reading
5. not doing the dishes
6. not going to the gym
7. not showering
8. not shaving
9. not changing tee shirts
10. not changing socks or underwear
11. drunk behaviour...most kinds, phone calls included
12. stealing while drunk
13. not answering the phone/returning phone calls
14. anger of any kind (most kinds)
15. jealousy
16. making fun of anyone
17. making fun of ex boyfriends (not mine)
18. not flossing
19. not contacting parents
20. not calling girlfriends to let them know where you are, or if you are alive.

if I've missed something you'd like to justify*, please let me know, and I'm sure I can help you to become more like me.

*please note that my help is limited to those who are not mean to animals or women, who do not promote illegal occupation, and to those of us who do not seek a justification for war.

No comments: