Friday, October 21, 2005

Iguazu Falls


This was taken around Easter this year, about 5 days after I got to Argentina. You don't see them here, but there were hordes of Argentines not unlike the locusts of the bible, only smoking more cigarettes than said locusts. Not one to consider myself a baby, I sometimes wonder if that will change in the heat and humidity of Arg. This was in Autumn here, and 40 degrees with a lot of humidity. I whined like a kid wearing ski boots for the first time. Luckily for my girlfriend, spring just started, and it's already 35...she's got a long 6 months in front of her. To put it into perspective, I'm from Canada. Not only that, I'm from Alberta, armpit Alberta if you will: Hanna, where it's mostly desert all year, and dry. I've reconciled with myself that I'll likely die here, sputtering what words I can in Spanish, my last sight of earth being from the ground, viewing the tops of apartment buildings between the confused faces of the Argentines surrounding me and trying to revive me. (was that dramatic enough?)

3 comments:

Kate said...

i don't think i want to plan my death quite yet.

i love canada. i think i said this to you before, but no matter where i travel to, i always love coming home. Im in Ontario. I've never been to Alberta. I love my parents house. It is where i have spent most of my life, and i can't imagine moving so far away that i couldnt drive to visit it. im traditional like that i guess.

Talk to you soon,
-Kate

Apocrypha said...

Doesn't look like all that bad of a place to die...I'd choose that over an Alberta winter any day

dbuc said...

i suppose, but it's more of a slow, drawn-out death, unlike the quick alberta winter-deaths I'm used to.