Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Bosnia 2004

Country house destroyed by the war...
One of the taller buildings in Sarejevo, positioned right along 'sniper alley', where the Serbs were perched during the siege of Sarejevo, picking off the fleeing Sarejevans as they headed towards the only tunnel out of the city.
Muslim graveyard near the apartment where I stayed.
I was born the same year as this boy. What was I doing while he was dodging bullets?
Another vacant house after the war.

Before I left for Europe, one of my prime motives for going was to visit the Balkan Region and see the effects of the recent war there. My time there can only be described as uneasy and suffocating. It's a beautiful, mysterious, and strange part of the world, with bold, proud people, of the Jewish, Muslim, Catholic, and Orthodox faiths. There is a tension there still, and a certain loneliness and melancholy, that can best be expressed by the beauty of the snow-capped buildings in ruin, or the Muslim call to prayer at night. It was a powerful experience.

2 comments:

Krista said...

hello dan, i got your comment about you asking for some help with you blog. e-mail me your ideas and i'll see what i can do. :)

oceanarias at gmail.com.

dbuc said...

done and done...thanks for the help, Krista!