Tuesday, December 27, 2005

'wait...wait...did you say BOYFRIEND or GIRLFRIEND?!

As much as I hate to admit it, and my girlfriend will gladly admit to that, I'm not quite the suave, sophisticated bilingual I'd like to be. I can usually understand the conversations now, and my speaking is improving, but situations like today's serve as reminders on how far I need to go.

I was at the bus station, trying vainly to find a ticket back from the beach house this weekend, as we'll be spending the weekend there with some friends for new year's. Anyway, I have a ride there, but no ride back, hence the search. Anyway, in January, 13 million porteños leave the city, so tickets are hard to find. I did find one company selling still, so I waited in line patiently.

While waiting, this guy strikes up a conversation in Spanish with me. It went like this...

g will be guy, m will be me. loose translations to ensue...

g---man, everyone wants to leave the city. you need to park yourself here for hours to get a ticket.

m---yeah, it's incredible. i hate it.

g---yeah..where are you from?

m---canada

g---vancouver? montreal?

m---calgary...

g---i've never been there. why are you here?

m---i have a girlfriend from here. You're not from here? Where are you from?

g---i was born here, but I've lived in Frankfurt for 6 years now, and i'm visiting my mother.

m---i see. i've been to germany and loved it.

g---i hate it there...the people are so cold.

(guy gets to buy a ticket, then I take my turn, noticing that he' s waiting for me.)

m---i could only buy for 330, that sucks.

g---you're coming back from Villa Gesell? I'm going to mar del plata...(they're close) Do you have time to go for a coffee?

m---(more nervous).--actually, I have to go to work. I'm sorry. Why don't you give me your number and we can hang out sometime.

g---ok, that sounds good. (number exchange) Let's walk out together.

m---ok.

we walk out together, and he complains more about germany, more about the people, tells me about a former room mate that killed himself, and about his friend Ian.

5 mins later---

g---can i tell you one thing?

m---sure-

g---you have beautiful eyes. really beautiful. I love them.

m---gracias.

g---don't be modest-.--they're really nice-

m---(very red) um, gracias.

g---(says something I don't understand)

m---can you say that again.

g---sure.

m---can you speak english.

g---what do you think? yes, of course.

m---well, my girlfriend and I have been to the North of Arge....

g---wait, wait. WAIT. did you say girlfriend? I completely thought you were GAY. My jaw just dropped. You're not gay? I thought you said boyfriend before. So, you're really not gay?

m---no. but don't worry, it doesn't bother me what you said.

g---tell you're girlfriend her boyfriend has beautiful eyes. don't feel awkward...it's a compliment.

m---ok...i'll tell her. and thanks.

....we continued our then awkward conversation, cracking the odd joke, and the guy feeling quite awkward. he was 37, a little old for me anyway.

No comments: