Saturday, February 25, 2006

breaking with the current trend, i'll post twice within 3 days

I'm currently running all over greater buenos aires for job interviews at some 'prestigious' private schools, some international, some not. I say 'prestigious' because here, private means exclusive, and not necessarily better. The private schools don't offer quality education...they offer prestige. Of course, considering that a public school teacher can't even pay rent here, i suppose that the quality has to be somewhat better, if only for the motivation of the teacher.These pictures are taken at km 45 of the pan americana, after my 1.5 hour commute to the school...who wants to commute 1.5 hours to work both ways in a shitty bus? I don't think I would be motivated to take on 25 rich kids at that point. I've spent the better part of today and yesterday playing with my blog etc...what do you all think? better? what should I change...i'm open to criticism...for the most part.

so, back to teaching. my dilemma is this...and it's what has been driving me crazy lately...School opens here now, in march. if i take a contract, that means i'm here for a year more, unless i screw the school over, which is bad for karma. I don't want to teach english in institutes any more...it's a waste of my time, and I get nothing from it..i didn't get 2 degrees to teach english to some rich businessman who doesn't really care anyway. as well, in alberta, i have 5 years after graduating from university to get 2 years of experience in order to be recognized as a certified teacher...i have 1.6 or something. this next year is my last year, and I know I want that badly. However, i have this little problem called ana. she's just switched programs, and finished her first year of school in cinema. she has 4 more left. she can't leave THIS year to study in canada. neither of us wants long distance.

I don't like the city...that's obvious. i need mountains. i need silence. (calgary is silent compared to here). but, I love her...alas, the eternal problem...giving of self to girl, or doing what's best for me? i wish i was more self centered. if i go bald, this is why.

No comments: